Swordfishtrombones

I mentioned Tom Waits in a previous blog and that was no coincidence. I have become more and more convinced that music in general and Tom Waits in particular has meant a lot to me as a filmmaker and a (re)viewer.

I was first introduced to Waits by a mate in 1983 when the album “Swordfishtrombones” was released. I pricked up my ears when the first instrumental track on side 2 started. It was short, strange and beautiful and when the Hammond organ introduced the next song and Tom started singing, I was sold. I fell in love with the mix of unusual instruments, askew rhythms, his voice, the lyrics, the quite beautiful melodies… and not least the humor which I at that point more sensed that actually understood.


I never thought much about it in those days but years later I found out that my views on films and filmmaking was tightly connected to my views on music. I’ve tried to study it further and to theorize on it and I even tried to work out a musical film lecture to highlight the similarities of ways of thinking in certain films and certain music. I gave that up, because when it comes down to it, it doesn’t really make sense. (Plus that I would have had to play piano and lecture at the same time to prove my points and that would probably involve me practicing a hell of a lot on the piano, and I am a lazy bastard…)

Instead, I’ve started writing a book on the records of Waits, and if that idea sits well with you; tell it to a publisher you know.

Latest, April 2017: I have started talks with Forlaget Politisk Revy in Copenhagen about the publishing of the book. I'm still writing and we aim for a release in 2018.

Kommentarer

Populære opslag fra denne blog

At lave eller leve film

CPH:DOX 2024 - Åbning

INVITATION